Wednesday 14 September 2011

Mathematics

For Mathematics at the moment, I'm pretty much following the old year one sample medium term plan from the National Numeracy Strategy (1999).  I found a copy here:  http://www.learninglive.co.uk/teachers/primary/numeracy/planning/mtplan_Ry3.pdf


I know it's not the latest of documents, but I like the way it's super simple to follow.  It gives me an idea of what Mr.R can be learning for his age and it's all set out in an easy-to-read table format covering only a few pages.  I guess my main concern is having gaps in his mathematics education.  If I follow this, at least I should be covering most areas, (number, shape and space, time etc.) right?


That being said, I was surprised to see some pretty challenging questions in Mr.R's Mathematics workbook I collected from his school the other day like 6 ÷ 2= ??? He's just a few days into year one!  So that threw me a bit off.  Seems like quite a jump from what was expected in Reception.


Luckily, I have had a bit of online help from members in a home education group I've recently joined.  They gave me some helpful guidance in the area of Mathematics.  I'm now feeling a little less clueless.


So what have Mr. R and I been doing?.  We've been learning about money:


This is a shop Mr. R created himself.


A customer buying from Mr. R's shop.  We used  real rupee coins.  
How much does it cost?  How much change will we get?

This was a fun activity.  Mr.R loved it.  He continued playing (and learning) throughout the day and continued playing (and learning) the next couple of days too.

Happy customer!

Then we moved on to measurement.  I told a story about a town that used the size of their King's foot to measure things.  But then one day they had a new king with tiny feet.  This caused too much confusion and they decided to make one way to measure things for everyone forever.  

We took a look at a ruler and looked at center-meters.  We talked about why it was important to start measuring at 0, like we do when measuring with our hands.

Mr. R then chose different objects to measure.

Here he's measuring a  sheet of paper.




Here he is measuring a hinge on the door.


100 square.  Mr. R likes looking at patterns and enjoys playing with numbers.  He soon caught on and finished most of this independently.






Today we started on two and three dimensional shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment