Thursday 8 September 2011

Tests




Yesterday I decided to make Mr.R do a mini high frequency (HF) word test.  I don't think I'll be giving tests again in the near future.  I don't feel it's really necessary when home educating one child.  I thought it would be good to see how many  HF words he knew how to spell so that I could know where he needs more help. But it wasn't that simple.

He become really disheartened each time he saw he spelled a word wrong while checking.  It didn't do anything for his confidence or enthusiasm in writing. I felt bad for putting him through the whole ordeal.

I've want our home education to feel like a comfortable and enjoyable learning journey.  Assessment will be informal and observational from now on.  I'll, as much as possible, gently correct Mr. R as he works on meaningful projects according to what he can handle, trying to keep a careful balance between correcting and nurturing his feelings of being able to succeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment